Hey guys, today we’ll have a chat about the Best Practices / Recommended Settings when adding your Google Apps account to your Mac using IMAP.
As you all know until now Google was not able to create an app to facilitate a connection different from IMAP for your Mac.
You can and I strongly advise to add your Google Apps account on your iPhone or iPad as an Exchange connection, this one will save you a lot of trouble in the future.
So let’s say you added your Google Apps account in your Apple Mail and after some time you start to notice delays in receiving your messages, missing messages or other functionality issues.
Start by checking this list and make sure you change what needs to be changed,
- Disable Drafts Sync in Apple Mail. [Every time you type a word or some letters the app will connect to IMAP and save the draft]
- Check if Apple Mail is up to date.
- Disable IMAP idle in Apple Mail. [By default this setting is enabled and it keeps a IMAP connection open at all time]
- Check Sent & Deleted folder mapping [You need to see the same messages in Apple Mail and Google Apps web interface]
- You have nested folder under system folders [You need to check if you have any folders nested under Inbox or any other system folder in Apple Mail – Google Apps does not support this setup and it will affect the connection]
Keep in mind that after you finished with this list, you will need to wait from 48 – 72 hours before you should see any change.
Let me know if you have any questions or need assistance with Google Apps, I would be more than happy to help.